Simply ordinary observations from an ordinary person - sometimes having to do with health care issues, sometimes not. Topics will change as my attention wanders. Yours probably will too....

Sunday, November 9, 2008

This Little Piggy

My Missouri Grandmother had a folk-art plaque in her kitchen which read "Never wallow with a pig. You'll both get dirty but the pig likes it."

Gramma, I've been wallowing with the pigs. Our local newspaper has an on-line site, of course, where readers can leave comments on items of interest. This was heavily used during the election and the most commented one right now is the "what will Sarah Palin do next?" article. There seems to be a small, but adamantly devoted, ultra-conservative faction here in town and they post frequent, repetitive, negative & under-educated opinions. I've been drawn to it like a fly to pig manure.

But the thing is, it's way too easy to get them ruffled and riled. I'm guilty of manipulation because I recognize the hot buttons and know how to express some things in ways guaranteed to stir up the stye. I'm swearing off it tho. It's not a good use of my time and not a productive way to move our country forward. So, I'm making a virtual vow - no more intentional pig prodding or slop sloshing. I'm pulling my boots out of the muck and retreating to drier ground.

The rest of the little piglets can keep snorting but my snout is out. (and no, I'm not trying to insult anyone with the pig reference - it's just a literary expression.) Oink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny I use the same saying but I use the word wrestle and no wallow.