Simply ordinary observations from an ordinary person - sometimes having to do with health care issues, sometimes not. Topics will change as my attention wanders. Yours probably will too....

Saturday, November 8, 2008

My head hurts this morning. I went out with friends last night to celebrate two birthdays. After we finished our thin-crust wood fired pizza and wine, we decided to go take a look at the new resort hotel which has just opened in our town.

It's lovely, in a spare, modern kind of way. Lots of stone and metal surfaces, minimalist artwork and avante garde floral pieces. The courtyard has a combo gas fire pit and fountain, adjacent to a large pool and spa. The pool and spa were both empty. There were a few young, hip, upper income types sitting around the fire/fountain. Water, fire, and alcohol: a recipe for instant companionship.

But my friend and I sat at the chic bar inside. Here's the interesting part. You can't just order a G & T or marguerita on the rocks. You browse thru a liquor menu, similiar to a wine list. When you find the premium brand you'd like - vodka, gin, tequila, single malts, etc. - then the bartender comes over and discusses how you'd like it mixed. It was a bit intimidating and all I wanted was a little nightcap. My friends are more savvy than I so I just said, "I'll have what they're having."

That turned out to be one of the most delicious cocktails I've had in a long time - fresh ruby red grapefruit juice with a premium vodka. I don't know what else was in it, but it was sublime! Smooth, sweet, tart, with just a little tiny hint of the vodka. It tasted so healthy and fresh that we all had two more. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But now my head hurts. And I just checked my wallet and realized how much those little designer drinks cost me. Ouch. Hand me the Tylenol please! My weekend entertainment budget is shot. Looks like it'll be Netflix, Panda Garden Express, and the couch for me tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, premium liquor is just that...premium priced...but oh so good. Worth the hangover...maybe not.