Simply ordinary observations from an ordinary person - sometimes having to do with health care issues, sometimes not. Topics will change as my attention wanders. Yours probably will too....

Saturday, August 23, 2008

OH, FLAPJACK! **

I am so mad at myself right now, I feel like a flapjacking idiot. Not because I did something stupid, but because I did something nice. Huh, you say?
Yes, I did something nice but I guarantee that it will come back to bite me.

Let's see if I can explain this without revealing too many details. There is someone on our staff whom I consider to be a slightly greener hue than Elphaba. I'll refer to her just as TWW (you can figure it out) and she is my ARCH-ENEMY at work. This week, TWW delegated a task to her assistant. The assistant asked me politely for help, since it requires use of software program which she has never used. Now, it just so happens that I am the self-taught company whiz at this particular program - if I do say so myself. I've been receiving broad hints from TWW for several months about taking on her project and I've always thought, "not in this lifetime, witch!" But I don't harbor such thoughts about the assistant so I agreed to show her the basics of the program.

It was obvious after about 30 minutes, that she wasn't going to pick it up fast enough to meet the deadline. That's when I heard myself say: "OK, if you assemble all the pieces you need for this and put it on the intra-net, I'll do the complete layout for you this time and send it over." OH, FLAPJACK! I have now agreed to do the project for TWW and broken my lifetime vow of never lifting a finger to help her. Too late. The assistant of course is thrilled, but it's only a matter of time before TWW finds a way to twist a knife in my back again. And it's my own stupid, flapjacking fault. To be continued, I'm sure.

**flapjack (flap' jak'): a pseudonym for a four letter word beginning with F. Created by a group of millennials one evening, when using the F word a little too often in the presence of some baby-boomers. The substitution of "flapjack" satisfied both parties and has been used ever since.

No comments: